Friday, September 11, 2009

Water Crystals

I have discovered a new favourite item for decorating receptions. The Water Crystal.



These little lovlies are supplied in little packets and are little beads about the size of a pin head. You then place them into water and they swell up to about pea sized. They are then used in vases as a feature.

This week, my Bride supplied her own crystals that she had pre-soaked and dropped off to me. The only problem was that they were in black and they hadn't been tested before, and we faced two major problems, one: they wouldn't submerge to the bottom of the vase and two: once submerged they turned into a murky black smudge in the vase.

So, the day before the wedding I had to organise replacement crystals in white which I knew would definitely submerge and didn't turn murky under water. Luckily I had the contact details of a seller of the crystals and was able to organise some.

The finished product turned out just beautiful. So it was off to the River Room at Southbank with 31 vases of submerged crystals and flowers.

I just love the finished effect. Three different sized cylinder vases, with fully submerged flowers and crystals - each vase featuring a cluster of different flowers - orchids, tulips and hyacinths.



No comments:

Post a Comment