Monday, May 25, 2009

Phaelonopsis Orchids

One week after Mothers Day and I had a wedding to do using Phaelonopsis orchids. Now, originally when I booked in this wedding I had checked with my suppliers and I was told that I would defintely be able to source the phallies as they were going to force them to flower early for Mothers Day. I should have expected it, because when you are dealing with nature nothing seems to go to plan and sure enough things didn't work out and there were none available.

After an emergency meeting with my Bride, who was adamant that she have fresh phallies, I had a plan. I had to scour all the Bunnings and Big W stores on the northside and buy up every pretty much every flowering plant they had in stock for Mothers Day.

I did speak to one of Brisbane's leading orchid suppliers who did warn me that these plants would only be flowering because they had been grown in a cold room under special conditions and warned me not to be surprised if they simply turned to mush once they had been out in the real world for a few days. I had no choice and I had to take the risk.

Because, I couldn't get enough of the flowering plants and they were costing a lot more than purchasing blooms from my suppliers, my Bride opted for silk phallies for her hair, and to add white Singapore orchids into the Bridesmaids' bouquets, we also used the Singapores for the cake flowers and buttonholes.

I snapped up the plants the week before Mothers Day, because I obviously didn't want to miss out, so I had a long 2 weeks of watching over the plants in my workroom, thankfully some the buds popped open and I only lost one stem of flowers.

Late Friday afternoon I started work on what was one of my most stressful weddings ever. On top of everything else these bouquets needed to be delivered to Sanctuary Cove and then travel with the Girls up to Mt Tamborine for the ceremony and then back to Sanctuary Cove for the reception. I of course did every thing in my power to make sure they went the distance, using a couple of my secret tricks - the last time I saw the bouquets straight after the ceremony they were looking pretty damm good, if I do say so myself.

The elusive phaelonopsis orchid.

No comments:

Post a Comment