Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day Weekend

Mother's Day - is the biggest day of the year in the flower industry and when your a wedding florist who has nothing to do with Mother's Day (other than having and being a mum) it is one big pain in the neck. Firstly I received a phone call from my supplier Tuesday - I could only get 4 of my ordered 7 bunches of Vendella roses. On Wednesday morning I received another call none of my ordered Sahara roses were available. Wednesday lunchtime I am about to leave to pick up the flowers and there is a another call saying that I can't pick up as not all of the order is in and won't be ready until tomorrow. Thursday I can finally pick up - and things are not too bad the freesias are tight little green buds, not good when you want open full flowers, the white tulips are green and at least there are enough roses albeit not all the correct colours. So a word of warning that I give to all of my Brides getting married Mother's Day (and Valentines) weekend and the week after be prepared for some minor changes as the flower industry is in chaos.

Despite all the problems everything turned out beautifully, I have worked enough Mothers Days and Valentines to know to order a few spare bunches of similar coloured roses.

First thing Saturday morning with the two littlies in tow we headed out, with a quick drop off of cake flowers to Sarah-Jane at Cake That, the to Sinnamon Park, there were 5 Bridesmaids in this wedding and it was an absolute pleasure to walk in with the flowers and have 5 ooing and ahhing girls appreciating their flowers for the day. The Bride's bouquet was a tightly clustered posy of Bianca, Vendella and cream spray roses and the girls carried smaller versions of Vendella (only a few), Chantilly (instead of Sahara), Emmanuel (to make up for the Vendella) and Sweet Perfumella roses. After that drop off it is a quick drive home and then over to Boondall with the buttonholes.



Above - The Bride's Bouquet.
Below - The Bridesmaids' bouquet against the fabric of their dresses.




While I was out deliverying, my second Bride called by to collect her flowers. These bouquets were very fresh and funky. The Bride's bouquet was Bella Vita roses, white tulips and individually wired white Singapore orchids and her two daughters the flowers girls carried mini posies of Bella Vita roses and white Singapore orchids. Shelly from Brisbane Bridal Photography was photographing this wedding today so fingers crossed I should get a few good images from her.



Last but not least - I headed off to Snug Harbour. My Bride here had a bouquet of Emmanuel roses, white tulips and white freesias and her two Bridesmaids carried smaller versions of the same. For the reception we did tall square vases filled with red roses, I also wrapped thick green tropical leaves around the stems of the roses and fully submerged in the water.



Above - close of view of the Bride's bouquet.




Finally, a photo of my two assistants for the day at Snug Harbour - another of their favourite delivery spots, the water features, the river and boats.




After all of this weekend's hard work I can only hope that I get an easy day off Mother's Day. Then it is back to work again next week with a wedding or two.
Happy Mothers Day to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment